Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Cleanup your home: Don't organize trash

Not long ago, my home was a big mess. Every room was full of stuff that hasn't found a new home since I moved in here. That was around 2 years ago, just to give you an idea of how lazy and unorganized I've been. Now, my home is clean and clutter-free. Well, not as clutter-free as I want it to be, but it's getting better and better. How did I get there?

The most important thing was that I realized that organizing alone is not enough. I spent a lot of time finding the right place for lots of things. Unfortunately my cabinets have a size limit, so there were often other things that lost their place. I spent a lot of time finding the right place for... and so on.

I picked up all kinds of boxes and folders, but no matter how hard I tried - the clutter got more and more. One day, when I was re-organizing one of my cabinets once again I took a closer look at the stuff I was constantly moving around my home. It turned out that I haven't needed most of the stuff in my cabinet for a couple of years!

So I went through all my cabinets and dumped everything that wasn't worth keeping. Within some hours I had enough space in my cabinet to find a new home for every single thing I found lying around.

The next time you are looking for the right place for something you should probably ask yourself one simple question: "Is it really worth keeping?"

No comments: