Sunday, August 19, 2007

A walk a day

I've stopped counting how many times I tried to start running regularly. Everytime I realize I should do more for my health I start again. But it just takes a few weeks until I don't run as often as I want to, and after another week I've stopped completely. Again.

It's not that I don't like to run. I really enjoy it. During my runs, it seems like the rest of the world is standing still. There are no problems, no deadlines - just me and my iPod. Afterwards, I feel like I've got more energy than before.

So, why in the world would I stop running, if it makes me feel so good? Deep inside of me, I'm quite a lazy guy. For a while, the lazy guy in me is so amazed about my motivation in running that he has no idea what he could do about it. But after a few weeks he's coming back with all kinds of excuses...

  • The weather is too bad...
  • I don't feel very well, running is probably not that good...
  • I had to work longer, I should get some rest before going to bed...
  • I've been running for a while now, a day more or less won't make a difference...
  • I'm so hungry, I should eat something...
  • I shouldn't go running so shortly after eating something...
These seem to be the same excuses everytime, but unfortunately they work. Everytime.

Some time ago I started an experiment that seems to work very well. My goal is no longer to go running at least 3 times a week. My goal is now to make a walk for at least 30 minutes every day. It doesn't matter where I am. I could go for a walk in my neighborhood, the city, a forest, everywhere else in the world. All of the above excuses won't work against a short walk. There's no reason why I shouldn't go for a walk after eating something. 30 minutes aren't that much, but 30 minutes of walking every day are surely more healthy than some days of running followed by 3 months of couch-potato life.

I only allow myself one exception to my "A walk a day challenge": If I feel like running, I replace my walk with that. It's amazing how often I feel like running if there are no "I really should go running" thoughts in my head.

If you have similar problems with running regularly, you should give the "A walk a day challenge" a try...

No comments: